Design Can Be Frustrating

I am in the process of designing a little hat that looks porcine for a customer of mine. She had seen a crocheted hat that she loved and I, not being a crocheter, wanted to make her a hat that was comparable … or better.

Designing, for a perfectionist such as myself, can be thrilling. Or frustrating. Or downright annoying. I got the hat all knitted up in no time and love the little tail that is a four-stitch i-cord at the top of the hat. Twisted around itself a couple of times and pulled through, it’s a really cute little twisty piggy tail.

Ears, however, are not that easy. I have, twice, knitted two ears that looked too small. Once I even (being hopeful, I guess) wove in the ends. Had to cut the ears off that time. I’m going for the look of a piglet and in many of the photographs that I’ve seen while researching pig ears (who knew!?) the ears look too big for the little pig. They also seem to have “lobes” on the outside side of their ears. Here are a couple of examples …

 

 

 

 

 

 

See what I mean?

The last attempt that I was making when I was called to get ready to go see the new Woody Allen movie, To Rome With Love (If I hadn’t already seen it, I wouldn’t rush out to see it), was going really well and I hope that I can pick it up tomorrow and finish the first ear to my own satisfaction and then knit up a mirror-ear on the other side of the little hat.

Must run out and get a bit of black yarn for nostrils and eyes and then stitch them on.

Next on the needles are little pink mittens to match … perhaps with a bit of embroidery to make them look like little cloven hooves? And an i-cord string between them because we know all little children lose one mitten! Right?

Gone knitting!

Three Cheers for the …

Fourth of July “weekend” was not too knitty for me but I am really pleased with the “This Little Piggy” hat that I am designing for an order!

It’s turning out to be really cute. I have the hat knitted with the little i-cord tail on top. Love it! Next was to decide how and where to put the ears. And what do pigs’ ears look like? (No, not the ones that you feed to your dogs as treats! Real pigs ears that are still attached to the pig!) I think I managed pretty well by picking up eight stitches a bit in front of the tail and on the sides of the hat.

And for the snout?!

I couldn’t just sew on a button or a piece of felt. That feels like cheating. So, after perusing pictures of pink pigs on Pinterest (ha! actually it was Google images but that doesn’t start with a “P”) I decided that it had to be a 3-D snout and knitted up a short tube and then figured out how to make an edge and then knit a circle in the middle by decreasing just enough to make it work. Now it needs to be attached. BUT first I need a bit of black or darker pink yarn to make the nostrils and some eyes for my little piggie!

I will probably knit this pattern up a couple more times (after I write it down, that is) … as I design, I take notes about what I am doing and then tweak it as I knit again and again … and this may decide to be the first pattern that I offer for sale. Or maybe the lobster mittens. Keep your eyes on the prize … or piggy pattern!

Gone knitting.